Heroines

• April 15, 2014 7:12 PM BST
    For me Dianna Rigg.........
    • 866 posts
    May 2, 2014 6:06 PM BST
    Of all places to find some heroines I found this one on the Marks and Spencer website. Have a look at the video and you will see why...

Pauline xxx

http://www.marksandspencer.com/s/mands-tv?intid=emtv_679_891_7022&extid=ME_AYS_BLL_4_310314
  • May 6, 2014 3:28 AM BST
    I also second (or third?) Patti Smith. And Kate Bush, as inspiring and original performers, writers, and aesthetes.

Christina Rosetti.

Oh, and Boudicca...for too many reasons to name
    • 5 posts
    June 28, 2014 11:43 PM BST
    No one has mentioned Dame Helen Mirren but I won't give a long list of artists whose names seem to mean so little to others whenever I mention them.
  • July 18, 2014 4:42 PM BST
    Diana Dors !! every time
  • J L
    • 54 posts
    July 20, 2014 8:15 PM BST
    P J Harveyriot grrrls, Kate Bush, Izzy Lindqwister is awsome

I watched Miranda Sawyer Culture show about punk women and I have some admiration there

Trans is difficult, Dana International was "a moment" for me.

& Myself of course, courtsey I am rock and roll superstar

Ooooh, I like Morgana Blackrose too :blush:

Ashleigh Talbot

AmyMichele Morris is a bit ok well I think she's pretty cool to have around
  • August 5, 2014 12:17 AM BST
    Well having thought about it there is no one female persona who I look up to but there are a few with whom I respect their accomplishments. First one for me is simply inspirational in her triumph over adversity and that is Karen Darke. Recovering from spinal injury, she ended up skiing across Greenland and completing a half iron man as well as representing team GB at the Paralympic Games.
    But from a musical artistic point of view then I have always liked Madonna and Alanis Morrisette!
    • 14 posts
    September 13, 2014 11:07 AM BST
    Have always adored Sophia Loren.
  • September 15, 2014 4:50 PM BST
    As a young lad growing up i must say i loved the film Mannequin, and the Fabulous Kim Cattrall x
  • September 15, 2014 4:50 PM BST
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kim+cattrall+-+Mannequin&espv=2&biw=1369&bih=629&tbm=isch&imgil=rNkwWqexyhvwKM%253A%253B8PGG2ijbTfISAM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fhilobrow.com%25252F2009%25252F08%25252F21%25252Fhilo-hero-kim-cattrall%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=rNkwWqexyhvwKM%253A%252C8PGG2ijbTfISAM%252C_&usg=__fB43WJZnBP_l5c7K5pRj2FIccj4%3D&ved=0CJYBEMo3&ei=wwkXVI-rMaTC7AbOhIHYBw#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=rNkwWqexyhvwKM%253A%3B8PGG2ijbTfISAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fhilobrow.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2009%252F08%252Fmannequin.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fhilobrow.com%252F2009%252F08%252F21%252Fhilo-hero-kim-cattrall%252F%3B375%3B293
  • September 17, 2014 10:48 AM BST
    Kim is lovely and wouldn't you kill to be just like her in Sex in the City ?
    • 127 posts
    December 9, 2014 2:50 AM GMT
    I've never given this much thought before but Shirley Maclaine is certainly a woman I admire greatly. Not so much her beleifs but her acting and the roles she played. They struck a chord with the girl in me and she extended my understanding of my femme self.
    • 127 posts
    January 14, 2015 5:00 AM GMT
    This just seemed to belong here. Its an interview with Antoia Stevens, a local trans woman. and is part of a series called "Heroines" that features trans women as subjects.

http://theheroines.blogspot.ca/2015/01/interview-with-antonia-stevens.html
    • 127 posts
    January 14, 2015 5:01 AM GMT
    WHOOPS

This post was edited by rita clark at January 14, 2015 5:04 AM GMT
    • 10 posts
    May 7, 2015 4:57 PM BST
    Hmmm Im not thinking Im gonna be able to look like anybody nor really aspiring to so I wont go there but who truely inspires me like no other... Teal Swan (aka Teal Scott)
    • 75 posts
    May 7, 2015 10:43 PM BST
    I'd like to add Maggie Nolan. Always the bit part (Carry On, Bond) but always made the most of it. Will hopefully interview the love soon for a 'Bond' thing.

This post was edited by Daryl Shannah at May 7, 2015 10:43 PM BST
    • 10 posts
    May 8, 2015 12:00 AM BST
    Two other beautiful ladies whove really helped me through the dark days and helped me grow - Anna Netrebko and Elina Garanca, truely voices of angels
    • 12 posts
    June 16, 2015 6:49 AM BST
    Here are some transgender heroines of mine:

Sylvia Rivera: Reputed to throw the first parking meter at the cops at the Stonewall uprising, she joined with Marsha P. Johnsson to form the Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries. There was nothing fancy about Sylvia. She lived in a cardboard box and spent her time working for human rights and feeding homeless people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybnH0HB0lqc

Bagoas of Susa: The motion picture Alexander never did Bagoas justice. While Bagoas was long known in transgender literature as a favorite of Alexander the Great, there is evidence that Bagoas held sway in the interior of the Persian Empire, even bringing down a Persian oppressor Ochus who had ransacked Egypt. But it is also believed that Bagoas influenced Alexander himself in the policy of Hellenism, which did not destroy the political framework of the conquered peoples through oppression, but established a new culture built upon the philosophers including Alexander's teacher Aristotle.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=XjyDAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA630&lpg=RA1-PA630&dq=Bagoas+and+Hellenism&source=bl&ots=_bzc-xt9t8&sig=7rW0aoe1vHnjZ7S1nt9YyRDVU_E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCgQ6AEwBGoVChMI4fSZ9ryTxgIVRy6ICh02NQqv#v=onepage&q=Bagoas%20and%20Hellenism&f=false

Theresa Sparks: I've personally known Theresa from Transgender San Francisco and have long admired her as a person. But what she did in that city in moving the Human Rights Commission and the Board of Supervisors to revisit the issue of discrimination against transgender people spread throughout the state of California. Working with then Supervisor and later Assemblymember Mark Leno, she succeeded as the front line person for change in California law in 2003, the same year in which the Legislature voted her Woman of the Year. She would later serve as San Francisco Police Commissioner and still directs the Human Rights Commission today. California now has the most trans-friendly laws anywhere on the planet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theresa_Sparks

And though transman Jamison Green would be considered a hero instead of a heroine, he has done a superb job of educating the public about trans issues over many years of service and still teaches today.
    This post was edited by Lynnea Gone at June 17, 2015 1:32 AM BST
    • 1 posts
    July 14, 2015 11:40 PM BST
    just attended my 10th sparkle,and i have a modern day heroine i'd like to add to the list. her name is Becky Fox (formerly Cannons). There were 8500 people at Sparkle this year,it was the best ever!! Becky started this website as Trannyinternational more years ago than I care to remember and she helped me through a very difficult time with her (at the time) revolutional website. When Bella Jay last year announced she was giving up organising Sparkle I was worried for its future, but if I'd have known at the time that Becky was taking over from her I would not have worried, this year's sparkle was the best ever. its now the biggest transgender event in the world and its still free! Becky and her fellow trustees have done wonders at such short notice to keep this event as sparkling as ever. If there was such an award as best contribution to the transgender cause I would nominate her. Hope you agree girls, love Mandy
    • 235 posts
    July 15, 2015 10:51 PM BST
    Becky and all the volunteers who put in so much work did a job and a half and deserve loads of congratulations. Well done to all xxx
    • 7 posts
    July 17, 2015 10:05 AM BST
    I think it is fair to say that every trans has had opportunity to express their opinion on this matter.
    • 8 posts
    August 14, 2015 10:05 AM BST
    Having met April Ashley I would have to say she is an amazing lady but for me it has to be Caroline Cossey aka Tula,model and Bond Girl it was her outing by a newspaper that made me realise I was not the only one who felt they were in the wrong body and I will always be thankful to her and reminder her of it regularly Dxx
    • 8 posts
    August 14, 2015 10:08 AM BST
    The final figure for Sparkle 2015 was 10,100 an amazing figure Dxx
    • 7 posts
    October 20, 2015 10:00 PM BST
    I have some role models. I love model Edie Campbell for her delicate but tomboy-ish face, also Alice Glass from Crystal Castles for her punky, don't-give-a-fuck look. Brian Molko helped me learn to love being androgenous. But my number one is a trans woman - Jen Richards. If I'm half as beautiful and wise as her when I'm done, I'll be happy.
    • 6 posts
    February 20, 2016 3:51 PM GMT
    Joan of Arc and Roberta Cowell.